Looking for the best smart lock for Airbnb and other vacation rentals? Look no further! This article will cover what smart locks are, the benefits of using them, and what to consider when choosing between the best locks for Airbnb hosts. Then, it’ll cover the five best smart locks for Airbnb and other vacation rentals. There’s even a comparison table and a section with related questions to help make the decision as simple as possible.
- What Is a Smart Lock?
- Benefits of Using Smart Locks for Airbnb and Other Vacation Rentals
- Things to Consider: What To Look For In Airbnb Smart Locks
- The Five Best Smart Locks for Airbnb
- Best Smart Lock for Airbnb: Comparison Table
- Related Questions
- Final Thoughts
What Is a Smart Lock?
A smart lock works using WiFi or Bluetooth, and it can be keyless or have the ability to use a mechanical key. Smart locks can be opened through voice commands or the use of an app. They often have built-in keypads to tap in pre-set codes as well. Many smart locks enable remote access, meaning that users can lock and unlock their doors from wherever they are.
Benefits of Using Smart Locks for Airbnb and Other Vacation Rentals
- The best Airbnb smart locks enable self check-in for guests, which is simple and convenient for everyone involved. They also prevent hosts from having to stop by the vacation rental every time a guest arrives to hand off a physical key.
- It provides freedom and flexibility for both hosts and guests.
- The best smart lock for Airbnb ensures peace of mind for hosts since they will be alerted whenever someone attempts to unlock the door.
- It prevents guests from getting locked out, which can be a commonplace event when using physical keys.
- It makes it simple to manage multiple properties and to manage those properties remotely.
- Some smart locks can be directly integrated with Airbnb for maximum convenience.
- Guests can rest assured that they are the only people with the current code and that no past guests will be able to enter the vacation rental property.
Things to Consider: What To Look For In Airbnb Smart Locks
Hosts searching for the best smart door lock for Airbnb should keep the following factors in mind.
Quality of the Smart Lock App
A smart lock is only as good as the app that comes with it. The app should be comprehensive and easy to use.
Smart Lock Installation Process
Unless hosts are interested in hiring a professional locksmith to install their smart lock, they should look into each option’s installation process. While some locks have complex installation processes, the best smart lock for Airbnb has an installation process simple enough to be completed by the average person.
Smart Lock Features and Functionalities
The capabilities of the smart lock are definitely a crucial part of the decision. Hosts should select a lock that has all the functionalities needed for use at a vacation rental. A few that are especially convenient include remote control through an app, remote monitoring through WiFi, multiple keyless entry options, auto-lock settings, limitations for access, permanent and temporary entry codes, and smartphone alerts.
Every smart lock is given an ANSI rating. Grade 1 is the most secure and the best smart lock for Airbnb, while Grade 3 is the least secure. Hosts should select a lock with a Grade 1 or Grade 2 rating, as Grade 3 smart locks aren’t suitable for vacation rental properties.
The Five Best Smart Locks for Airbnb
Smart locks can be a great tool for managing an Airbnb property. Let’s dive into the top 5 smart locks for Airbnb.
One of the best door locks for Airbnb, this lock is ANSI Grade 1 Certified, which ensures that it’s secure enough for use at vacation rental properties. The Ultraloq Smart Lock U-Bolt Pro is a six-in-one keyless entry lock (touch and go 360-degree fingerprint ID, anti-peep keypad, smartphone, auto-unlock, shake to open, and mechanical key) that can use both WiFi and Bluetooth. It can be voice-controlled by Google Assistant and Alexa, and it’s compatible with Apple Watches as well. It scored a rating of 4.4 out of five stars on Amazon, making it a contender for the title of best lock for Airbnb.
- DIY installation
- Micro-USB for emergency power plus Low Battery warning
- 99.8% fingerprint ID accuracy
- Some users had trouble with the fingerprint function
- App could be easier to navigate
This best smart lock for Airbnb from Sifely can be opened with a fingerprint, passcode, fob, smartphone app, and physical key. Installation is simple. It only takes a few minutes and a screwdriver, which is one reason why this lock is considered an option for the best door lock for Airbnb. The door handle is reversible and can be used on left-handed and right-handed doors. The lock is paired with Sifely Gateway WiFi, which is sold separately. The purchase of this add-on enables remote control, meaning that users can lock and unlock their doors from wherever they happen to be. Overall, the Sifely Smart Lock earned 4.5 out of five stars.
- Free app with no hidden charges; 30-day money-back guarantee; one-year product warranty; lifetime customer support
- Stores 200+ codes and 150+ fingerprints so hosts can ensure a unique passcode for each guest
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Reviewers call it a “revolution in convenience”
- Sifely Gateway must be purchased separately for remote access
- Some users found the keyhole cover difficult to remove
- Fingerprint reader doesn’t always work well in inclement weather
Not only is this lock the best Schlage smart lock for Airbnb, but it has six different colors, two styles, and two patterns to choose from, so it’s possible to select a lock appearance that matches perfectly with the overall aesthetic of the property. Guaranteed to fit standard doors, this best smart door lock for Airbnb is easy to install. Only a screwdriver is needed, and the lock features Snap ‘n’ Stay Technology that keeps both hands free during installation. A fingerprint touchscreen allows up to 30 access codes that can be changed for each guest, and the system can be paired with a Ring Alarm, Samsung SmartThings, Z-Wave Smart Home, and Alexa. This best smart lock for Airbnb earned an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars.
- Built-in alarm that goes off when anyone tampers with the lock or uses excessive force
- Can use smartphone to remotely lock and unlock the door
- Responsive keypad and seamless integration
- Programming may take some time, effort, and research
- Some functionalities don’t work in Canada
One of the best WiFi locks for Airbnb, this lock works with the Yale Access App, as well as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, HomeKit, Philips Hue, and Samsung SmartThings. It comes in four colors and has three variations: one with only a key-free touchscreen, one with the ability to use a key or the touchscreen, and a final option with a keypad and keyhole. This best front door lock for Airbnb features an Auto-Unlock functionality and includes a WiFi Connect Bridge instead of requiring an additional purchase. Users can quickly and easily share scheduled, temporary, or permanent access with guests and others, such as the cleaning crew. This best electronic lock for Airbnb scored an average of 4.3 stars out of five.
- Remote lock, unlock, and door monitoring through the Yale Access App
- Works seamlessly with smart homes
- Auto-unlocks when you arrive home and auto-locks when the door is closed
- Reviews call it “the best digital door lock on the market” and a “must-have for Airbnb hosts”
- Must manually delete each code after guest stays have ended
- Software integration could be smoother
In silver and matte black, this best smart lock for Airbnb comes in two variations: a WiFi smart lock and a lock plus a keypad. The August smart lock allows users to set up permanent, temporary, and scheduled access using various passcodes, and it’s simple to install on any door because it fits perfectly over most single-cylinder deadbolts. It can auto-unlock when the user arrives home, and it works seamlessly with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, Samsung SmartThings, and others, thanks to the built-in WiFi. This best remote door lock for Airbnb has earned multiple awards, including CNET Editor’s Choice, Best Smart Lock by Good Housekeeping, and Best Smart Lock by Tom’s Guide. On average, this best keyless door lock for Airbnb earned 4.3 out of five stars.
- DoorSense app lets users know when the door is open, closed, locked, and unlocked
- Easy to install
- Sleek appearance
- All-in-one unit (no additional purchases required)
- App could be more intuitive, especially on Android
- Battery life could be longer
Best Smart Lock for Airbnb: Comparison Table
|Product||Price (as of November 2021)||Rating||Type of Lock||Additional Required Purchases|
|Ultraloq||$249||4.4||Touch and go 360° fingerprint ID, anti-peep keypad, smartphone, auto-unlock, shake to open, mechanical key||None|
|Sifely||$129.99||4.5||Fingerprint, passcode, fob, smartphone, mechanical key||Sifely WiFi Gateway|
|Schlage||$177.78||4.5||Remote access with existing Z-Wave system, access code, smartphone app, mechanical key||Z-Wave Home Automation System|
|Yale||$279||4.3||Smartphone app, auto-unlock, keypad, mechanical key||None|
|August||$294.99||4.3||Keypad, auto-unlock, smartphone app||None|
Do smart locks have a monthly charge?
Some smart locks come with a monthly charge, but the locks listed above do not.
Are all smart locks compatible with Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant?
Not all smart locks are compatible with Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant, but many newer models are. Most of the locks mentioned in the article are compatible with them, making it clear why they are considered the best smart lock for Airbnb.
Is it always possible to have direct Airbnb booking integration?
It’s not always possible to have direct Airbnb booking integration with smart locks, but many of the newer options on the market have this capability.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links.
If you looking for the best smart locks for airbnb, please watch this video:
Choosing the right smart lock for your Airbnb property is a crucial decision that can greatly impact the safety and convenience of your guests. Moreover, you can manage your rental property remotely by employing the right smart lock. This guide will help you to make an informed decision to choose a smart lock that will enhance your guests’ experience while keeping your property safe and secure.